Company: The Travelwrap Company Ltd, Hampshire,UK
Company Description: The Travelwrap Company Ltd (www.thetravelwrapcompany.com) was launched in August 2007 and is both an e commerce business and a retail supplier. We design, manufacture and supply contemporary knitted Scottish cashmere travel wraps ‘for home and away’. We have recently been awarded Luxury/Premium Gift of The Year (2008. UK)
Nomination Category: Company/Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Best New Company of the Year
Nomination Title: The Travelwrap Company
Describe for the judges the activities and accomplishments of the nominated company during the eligibility period (up to 500 words):
· We have developed a unique product and concept and taken it to market.
· The product itself is recognised as being of exceptional quality.
Travelwraps are knitted in Scotland in one of the most highly regarded mills
internationally. The yarn is ethically and sustainably sourced. Press and
customer feedback are testimony to this. We have had 100% excellent feedback on
both customer service and product
· We are building a strong luxury brand through our on and off line
marketing and PR http://thetravelwrapcompany.com/uk/press.htm
· Our business has progressively grown and is now generating profit. Our
sales have more than doubled over the last year, despite a difficult economic
climate. Our turnover in 2008 (Aug 2007-08) was £46,000, that rose to £135,000
in 2009 (Aug 08- Aug 09)
· The company has the potential to be internationally recognized for an
exceptional product and as having a strong luxury brand identity.
· We have a good ethical foundation and are also working alongside
charitable foundations (David Lynch Foundation
http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/ and Maggie’s cancer charity
achieve a good balance between commercial gain and giving something back.
· A measurement of business achievement is recognition from credible
independent organizations. We have entered and achieved success in business
competitions, nationally and internationally.
· The Travelwrap Company won Luxury Gift of The Year 2008 (UK Gift
Association) for ‘The Travelwrap’.
· We have been awarded Highly Commended in this year’s Luxury Gift of
The Year (2009) for ‘My Little Travelwrap’.
· We were shortlisted for Most promising New Business, British Small
Business Champions Awards 2008 (UK)
· Our business was a finalist in The New Forest Brilliance in Business
· We were finalists in The 5th International Stevie Awards for Women in
Vision for The Travelwrap Company
By 2012 The Travelwrap Company will be recognized as a luxury brand
internationally with wholesale and e-commerce distribution across Europe and USA.
* We will have operations and publicists in the USA as well as Europe, to
manage operations, build brand awareness, and to acquire wholesale and
e-commerce customers through on/off line marketing and PR.
* We will have an extensive portfolio of Travelwraps designs and
Collections, we will have added other appropriate products to the Travelwrap
* Our e-commerce platform will be exceptional from the e-commerce customer
experience to the after sale service.
List the URLs (web addresses) of any online news stories, press releases, or other documents that you would like the judges to see that support your entry. IMPORTANT: List each URL on a separate line, begin each URL with http://, and enclose each URL in square brackets. For example, [http://www.yourcompany.com/pressrelease.html]:
Recent National Business Press:
Sunday Telegraph, Business supplement (August 2009)
Local Business Press
Hampshire View, November 2008
Hampshire View, a local county publication profiled Niamh Barker and The
Recent National reviews in the press
Sunday Telegraph, Good Buy Guide, May 2009
Also see our Press Reviews
Origin of The Travelwrap
Travelwrap Eco/Ethical Credentials
Provide a brief biography of the person or persons who lead the nominated company (up to 100 words):
I worked as a pharmacist in the Pharmaceutical Industry for 10 years (laterally
as Head of Medical Affairs (UK), Pfizer Consumer Healthcare) but I had little
basic knowledge in starting and running a company. After I had children I
re-focused my priorities and wanted to do something that would fit alongside
family life but provide a vehicle for my design inclination and achieve
commercial success. Through self directed learning I acquired the necessary
business, website and accounting skills.
On a personal level, I manage a busy family life (2 children, 4 stepchildren)
alongside the growing business. This can be a challenge!