Company: Thai Yamaha Motor Company, Samutprakarn, Thailand
Company Description: Thai Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. is the manufacturer and marketer of Yamaha motorcycles in Thailand. The company employs about 3,200 staff, and in 2009 had an annual sales turnover in excess of 700 million USD with production capacity of 600,000 motorcycles. The company’s manufacturing facility is one of Yamaha Motor worldwide’s largest and most efficient motorcycle plants in the world.
Nomination Category: Marketing Awards Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Marketing Department of the Year
Nomination Title: Thai Yamaha Motor Company Marketing Department
Tell the story about what this nominated organization/department achieved (up to 500 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
Thai Yamaha Motor has achieved great success on several different performance
measures since its establishment 47 years ago. From the economic crisis of
2009, the national growth has declined at -3%, industrial sales have declined
at -9.8%, Thai Yamaha has strived forward to achieve historical record in
sales, market share, customer satisfaction index and operational excellence.
In recent year, Thai Yamaha Motor has been executed differentiation strategy
to achieve premium brand position by offering innovative products, utilizing
lifestyle marketing and operational excellence. In response to economic
crisis, Thai Yamaha Motor has recognized the sense of urgency to maximize
revenue and reduce costs. As results, the company has increased market share
from 23% to 28% in 2007-2009, and its profit level is among the highest in
industry. Employee satisfaction has reached highest record at 80%.
Operational excellence has achieved significant results by efforts on
marketing, efficiency improvement and social contribution by the following:
1. Brand equity index has reached “strong position” in industry.
2. Achieved highest Customer satisfaction index and dealer satisfaction
index in industry.
3. Secure market leadership in motorcycle automatic segment of 53%.
4. Introduce new products to penetrate economy market with 92% customer
5. Modernized motorcycle retail shop nationwide to enhance brand image.
6. Achieved Guinness world record by organizing highest motorcycle
7. Utilize Korean and local celebrity for advertising commercials,
sponsored concert tickets were sold out within few days of reservation.
8. Awarded Trusted Brands – Gold Status by Reader’s Digest.
9. Received highest publication in online news stories and press
publication in industry.
10. Improved factory operation by having in-plant supply quality of 98.8%,
based on statistics of “complete assembly without rework”, highest in Yamaha
11. Market claim has been reduced to be one of the lowest ratios in the
worldwide Yamaha system.
12. Improve supply chain management by reducing inventory turnover to 14
13. Improve cash flow to a positive level with no bank loan.
Corporate Social Responsibility:
14. Introduced the best Yamaha motorcycle safety riding school in Asia.
15. Received government award on high safety record in factory operation
at national level.
16. Improved employee satisfaction to 80% by lowering employee turnover to
3% , while industry rate is at 11%.
Awards and Recognitions:
17. Awarded Excellent in Practice by American Society of Training and
Development (ASTD) on human resource development program, being the first
company in Southeast Asia to receive the prestigious award.
18. Awarded certification on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) system
using international guidelines (ISO26001) by Ministry of Industry.
19. Awarded Outstanding Establishment on Labor Relations and Welfare by
Ministry of Labor.
20. Received appreciation medal by the Thai Red Cross Society on social
21. Recognition given to top management on education and vocation training
support by the Royal Thai Government.
Thai Yamaha Motor continues to grow at increasing rate. At present, the
company is among the top contributor to Yamaha profit worldwide. In the
economic hardship, we have continued to expand production capacity and to
improve our system to serve customers better. Employees take pride for
outstanding performance and enjoy mutual growth.
List hyperlinks to any online news stories, press releases, or other documents that support the claims made in the section above. IMPORTANT: Begin each link with http://, and enclose each link in square brackets; for example, [http://www.youraddress.com]:
The collection of our press can be found at:
Provide a brief (up to 100 words) biography about the leader(s) of this nominated organization/department:
Praphan Phornthanavarsit is the inspirational leader with strategic thinking,
creativity and exceptional operational ability. He has successful track record
in various fields, such as automotive industry, information technology and
business consultancy. Praphan is one of the most respected persons in Thailand
motorcycle industry by contributed significantly to industrial development.