Company: 5W Public Relations, New York, NY
Company Description: Founded in 2003 by entrepreneur Ronn Torossian, 5W PR is a full-service agency known for cutting-edge programs that engage people with businesses, issues and ideas. With more than 90 professionals serving clients in B2C and B2B Public Affairs, Crisis Communications and digital strategy, 5W is one of the 25 largest PR firms in the U.S. with revenues exceeding 14 million.
Nomination Category: Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, & Public Relations Awards Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Public Relations Agency of the Year
Nomination Title: Re-writing the Rules of PR: 5W Builds an Agency for a New Media Landscape
Tell the story about what this nominated agency achieved since January 1 2012 (up to 525 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
Big ideas. Smart, resourceful programs. A commitment to lead, not follow. This approach is why 5W Public Relations (5W) is consistently one of the industry’s fastest growing agencies, outperforming both large and specialist agency competition. Now in its 10th anniversary, the 5W of 2012 bore little resemblance to the 5W launched in 2003 comprising three clients, entrepreneur Ronn Torossian and an intern.
In ten years, 5W has become the fastest growing independent agency in the country, providing clients with the resources and reach of a national powerhouse paired with the responsiveness, agility and senior-level attention of a boutique agency. 5W’s unique approach is based on founder Ronn Torossian’s For Immediate Release, which is defining the rules of PR for the next generation of professionals.
The agency’s success has not gone unnoticed. In a year in which many agencies continued to struggle with slow hiring and client losses, 5W was named AOR for top-tier brands in nearly all of the agency’s practice areas, including:
• Housewares: 5W expanded its relationship with Groupe SEB to include the KRUPS, Rowenta and T-fal brands;
• Events: The Westminster Kennel Club’s 137th Annual Dog Show, winning the business from scores of major firms in the RFP process;
• Healthcare: Duane Reade the most recognized drugstore chain in metropolitan New York, and RxAlly, the first-of-its-kind alliance of 20,000+ pharmacies to improve health and lower costs;
• Hospitality: ESquared Hospitality Group, a global hospitality company that represents notables names such as the BLT Restaurant Group and GoBurger;
• Food: Promotion In Motion, one of the largest candy companies in the world representing licensed brands including WELCH’S® Fruit Snacks and M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies;
• Travel: Luna Park, the iconic Coney Island boardwalk amusement destination;
• Beauty: Prestigious skincare line Jane Iredale
Overall, 5W won more than 135 new clients in 2012. Along the way, the agency experienced its 10th straight year of double-digit growth, with more than 17% year-over-year growth and record 2012 revenues of more than $14 million. It also welcomed significant senior hires to its management team, adding new strategists in every practice area.
Widely recognized as a new breed of PR agency, 5W always finds a creative way to cut through the clutter to make issues and ideas resonate. Examples include:
• 5W increased Groupe SEB’s stock to 6-month record highs after a single tweet and Instagram from Oprah Winfrey endorsing the company’s T-fal brand;
• 5W generated more than 1,841,036,785 media impressions and 48,000 downloads of The Westminster Kennel Club’s branded SmartPhone App in less than two weeks;
• 5W helped ESquared Hospitality, the international restaurant group behind such iconic brands as BLT Steak, BLT Prime, BLT Fish, Casa Nonna help evolve the company’s brand identity and build loyalty and public awareness to its growing portfolio; and
• 5W’s conceptualization of “The Man Isle,” stocked with male-friendly items, for West Side Market, which helped the small group of NYC markets receive national media attention befitting a major national chain.
As an agency that measures its success in big ideas that help clients stand apart from the competition, 5W is worthy of the title of Public Relations Agency of the Year.
Upload a collection of supporting files and web addresses to our server to provide more background information to the judges. You may upload any number of attachments and URLs through the "Add Attachments, Videos, or Links to This Entry" link above. (Do NOT list your URLs below.)
Provide a brief (up to 125 words) biography about the leader of this nominated organization:
Ronn Torossian is the Founder, President and CEO of 5W Public Relations (5W). He has overseen the rapid growth and expansion of the agency to the Inc. 5000 list and has counseled countless companies, including members of the Fortune 500 and Forbes 400. His work spans global interests, corporations, high-profile individuals, government agencies, nonprofits and academic institutions - both on routine public relations matters and extremely sensitive issues. One of the foremost public relations experts in the U.S., he was a semi-finalist for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year and was named to both PR Week and Advertising Age’s "40 Under 40" lists. His book, For Immediate Release was released in 2011, and he regularly speaks at universities and conferences on entrepreneurship and communications.