Company: Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
Company Description: Discovery Communications is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.7 billion cumulative subscribers in 209 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 147 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as US joint venture networks OWN, The Hub and 3net.
Nomination Category: Company / Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Company of the Year - Media
Nomination Title: Discovery Communications
Tell the story about what this nominated organization achieved since January 1 2011 (up to 500 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
Discovery Communications has maintained its growth streak for 4 years since going public in 2008 with expanding global platforms and investments in the development of content.
Revenues in 2011 increased 12% and Net income from continuing operations increased 75% .
• Discovery Channel is the most widely distributed network in the world and the largest contributor of our overall revenues and cash flow.
• Discovery has rolled out TLC as an international female-targeted flagship network, now available in more than 170 markets and the world's leading female lifestyle media brand.
• In 2011, Discovery Education continued to be the #1 provider of broadband educational media to U.S. K-12 schools
• Investigation Discover was the fastest growing network in pay-TV in 2011 for the second consecutive year
• SCIENCE had its best year ever among all key demographics and Animal Planet
• FitTV was rebranded as Discovery Fit & Health to leverage the popularity of the Discovery Health library and lead the health category
• In 2011, Discovery also launched ‘Discover Your Skills,’ a multimedia public affairs campaign designed to provide unemployed and underemployed Americans with access to critical resources for obtaining marketable job skills and expertise.
• The company also has partnered with Oprah Winfrey to launch OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Hasbro to launch The Hub children's and family network, and with Sony and IMAX to launch 3net, the first 24x7 3D television network.
Platform to Content
“we are on a journey to become a great content company as well”.
In 2011, the company took significant strides toward this goal by strengthening existing networks, extending popular brands around the world, investing in new brands to take advantage of our unique reach and tapping into new opportunities to further monetize our content library.
Approximately 70% of what we create on Discovery in the U.S. gets used in some capacity around the globe, and with that sort of global brand strength, keeping Discovery's domestic content pipeline strong and fresh has been a top priority.
The net result of our content efforts was market share growth in both viewership and advertising dollars. Viewership increased 3% across our portfolio in 2011 CEO Comments:
"Discovery's strong 2011 results and operating momentum exemplify the power and universal appeal of our non-fiction programming, as well as the opportunities inherent in the global distribution platform Discovery has built over the last 27 years. Through our continued focus on creating high-quality programming and leveraging that content around the globe, as well as across a growing number of digital and consumer platforms, we were able to take additional share of a strong global advertising market, build new brands and create additional growth drivers across our portfolio."CEO David Zaslav.
Discovery's off to a great start in 2012 with strong first quarter results and sustained operating momentum across our domestic and international operations. Our focus remains on building additional long-term value by investing in our brands and platforms while also delivering continued financial growth and returning capital to shareholders.
Upload a collection of supporting files and web addresses to our server to provide more background information to the judges. You may upload any number of attachments and URLs through the "Add Attachments, Videos, or Links to This Entry" link above.
Provide a brief (up to 100 words) biography about the leader of this nominated organization:
David M. Zaslav has been President, Chief Executive Officer and a common stock director of Discovery since September 2008. Mr. Zaslav has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Discovery since January 2007. Mr. Zaslav served as President, Cable & Domestic Television and New Media Distribution of NBC Universal, Inc., a media and entertainment company, from May 2006 to December 2006. Mr. Zaslav served as Executive Vice President of NBC and President of NBC Cable, a division of NBC, from October 1999 to May 2006. Mr. Zaslav was a member of the board of TiVo Inc. until he declined to stand for reelection in 2010.